Samsung Reveals TVs That Will Let Owners Trade NFTs
The South Korean electronics giant Samsung has announced that its Consumer Electronics Show (CES) offerings for 2022 will include a range of TVs fitted with an app that lets users browse, buy and sell non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
In an official release, Samsung explained that the app would be called the NFT Platform, and included the following description:
“This application features an intuitive, integrated platform for discovering, purchasing and trading digital artwork.”
The app, it added, would come as standard on new Micro LED, Neo QLED and The Frame models as part of a new “Smart Hub” that, it said, “puts content curation and discovery front and center with their viewing preferences.”
Elsewhere in the same release, the firm called the app an “NFTs management” feature.
Engadget further reported that the platform will “pull in NFTs from several marketplaces, so users can preview the art and see other relevant details,” including details such as “who created the work, as well as relevant blockchain metadata,” adding:
“Those who already own NFTs can also use the platform to showcase their collection.”
A number of Samsung TV models – including The Frame – have previously been marketed as devices that double as digital picture frames, enabling owners to display conventional or digital artworks when they are not watching TV or streaming video.
A range of free and purchasable images has been made available to users via a Samsung-curated platform, but allowing TV viewers to delve into the wider world of NFTs – and even trade them using their TV sets – is a new departure for the company.
The firm may well seek to utilize some of the same technology that it already uses in its blockchain wallets, which come as standard on a number of flagship smartphones.
CES begins in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on January 5. Many experts are predicting that other leading electronics brands will also unveil NFT or metaverse-themed offerings at the event, which wraps up at the weekend.
– NFTs in 2022: From Word of the Year to Mainstream Adoption & New Use Cases
– Insiders Predict: NFTs the ‘Gateway Drug to Crypto’, More Countries May Adopt Bitcoin in 2022
– S Korean Lawmaker to Launch Bitcoin, ETH Political Donations Platform – with NFT Receipts
– Kraken Set To Let Users Borrow Funds Against Their NFTs
– Another Crypto Winter Or a New Dawn for NFTs – Industry Insiders Share More 2022 Predictions
– Israel’s Pro Crypto Move, Shanghai’s Metaverse, Bitcoin-Backed USD 100M Credit Facility + More News