Goldman Sachs Executed Cash-Settled Bitcoin Options Trade – Reports
Investment banking giant Goldman Sachs is “close to announcing” that it is the first major bank in the US to trade an over-the-counter (OTC) crypto transaction, per multiple reports.
Crypto investors use options to hedge risks or boost yields, and OTC transactions tend to be larger, privately negotiated trades, tailored to each party’s needs.
The two firms are also cited as saying that Goldman is taking a greater risk by taking the role of a principal in this particular transaction than it did with the exchange-based CME Group bitcoin products that the bank previously started trading.
Bloomberg further quoted Galaxy co-president Damien Vanderwilt as saying that the firm expects the trade to “open the door for other banks considering OTC as a conduit for trading digital assets.”
– Goldman Sachs Leaves Russia, Reportedly Set to Increase Crypto Focus
– Goldman Sachs Claims Adoption Won’t Boost Crypto Prices, Talks Down Stablecoin Plans
– Bitcoin Could Reach USD 100K in Five Years If It Takes on Gold – Goldman Sachs
– Goldman Sachs Ultra-Rich Clients Send Bullish Crypto Signals
– Galaxy Digital To Acquire BitGo In a USD 1.2B Deal
– Bitcoin ‘Should Hold’ USD 40K, Says Novogratz. If Not – It’s a ‘Buying Opportunity,’ Argues Kraken CEO