JPMorgan Chase Closes Uniswap Founder’s Bank Accounts & Offers Help
Hayden Adams. Source: A video screenshot, Youtube/Fluidity
Hayden Adams, the creator of major decentralized exchange Uniswap, said that American banking giant JPMorgan Chase closed his banking accounts with “no notice or explanation.”
“I know many individuals and companies who have been similarly targeted simply for working in the crypto industry. Thanks for making it a personal,” Adams tweeted.
However, Chase’s official support Twitter account replied to Adams’ tweet, saying that “it sounds like you’ve had a less than ideal experience, and we want to know where you are coming from.” They asked him to send his “name, zip, and any other information” that he would like to share in a private message.
Brian Quintenz, an American financial manager and the former Commodity Futures Trading Commission commissioner, described the move as “a shadow de-banking of crypto” by the Federal Reserve (Fed) or the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency examiners “with direction from the top.”
“If the examiner told a bank that a certain customer is too risky and the bank ended that relationship, the bank is contractually prevented from telling that customer why,” Quintenz added.
“They canceled the bank account of someone featured in page 1 of the WSJ last year saying he was coming after the banking system to disrupt them,” said Jim Bianco, president of Bianco Research, an investment analysis firm.
Damn. Why crypto in a tweet— Ouriel 🇮🇱 (@OurielOhayon) January 24, 2022
that happens also to people who
1. bought crypto
2. try to buy crypto (bank abusively block them)
3. Invest in crypto companies
I have seen all 3 cases many times in many countries. https://t.co/YnDyL9XtF7
– BitMEX’s One-Stop Crypto Shop in DACH Region Plan Gets a Banking Twist
– US Regulator Calls For Stablecoin Bank Regulation, Coordinated Regulatory Approach To Crypto
– With Banks Turning to Bitcoin, Is It Finally Time to Long the Bankers?
– Another Major Bank to Begin Offering Bitcoin, Ether & Altcoin Services
– JPMorgan Offers Private Bank Clients Access to Bitcoin Fund – Report
– Half of Uniswap’s Liquidity Providers See Negative Returns, Study Claims
– UNI Drops on Report That SEC is Investigating Uniswap Labs