Ethereum’s Ropsten Testnet to ‘Merge’ Next Month in Preparation for Proof-of-Stake
Ethereum (ETH)‘s Ropsten public testnet, which allows for blockchain development testing before deployment on the mainnet, is estimated to undergo “the Merge” on June 8 in preparation for the main Ethereum blockchain to switch to proof-of-stake (PoS) consensus.
Ethereum DevOps engineer Parathi Jayanathi submitted a pull request for the Ropsten testnet Merge configuration code on Monday, which suggests that the code is ready to be implemented.
The Merge is Ethereum’s long-awaited upgrade when the current Ethereum Mainnet will merge with the beacon chain PoS system.
So far, there have been multiple tests to investigate how the merge would function. Just last month, Ethereum developers began testing how the switch would work on a shadow fork.
One of the final checks would be to test how the merge would work on Ethereum’s main public testnet. As such, the Ropsten public testnet is seen as the best replication of the Ethereum Mainnet as it follows a similar network structure, enabling developers to test their work in a live setting.
The Ropsten public testnet undergoes the merge in two steps. First, a genesis version of the consensus layer is created, which is slated to happen on May 30. And then the Ropsten testnet goes through the merge.
“Merging Ropsten is a huge testing milestone towards Ethereum’s mainnet merge later this year,” said Preston Van Loon, an Ethereum core developer at Prysmatic Labs.https://www.twitter.com/banker0x/status/1526940260470427648
In mid-April, Ethereum developer Tim Beiko said that the merge is now expected a “few months after June.” He added: “No firm date yet, but we’re definitely in the final chapter of PoW [proof-of-work] on Ethereum.”
At 7:15 UTC, Ethereum is changing hands around USD 1,945, down by 3% over the past 24 hours, 6% over the past week, and 36% over the past month. Additionally, the coin is down by nearly 60% from its all-time high of USD 4,878 recorded in November 2021, according to CoinGecko.
– Major Bitcoin & Crypto Companies Warn of ‘Extreme’ Risk in Proof-of-Stake Systems
– Ethereum Needs to Pass These Three Tests Before Migrating to PoS
– Ethereum’s Merge Could Lower Demand for Bitcoin but Regulatory & Technical Challenges Persist
– Top Narratives About Ethereum and Its Merge with Its Proof-of-Stake Beacon Chain
– Ethereum Leads in Web3, but Multiple Winners Possible – a16z Report
– Contradictory Vitalik Buterin Says He Wants a More Bitcoin-like Ethereum
– Record Inflows into Bitcoin as ‘Safety’-Seeking Investors Buy the Dip; Ethereum Outflows Double
– Bitcoin Dominance Rises as ETH/BTC Breaks Down