Crypto Adoption: Number of Bitcoin ATMs in Canada Jumps 28% in One Year
The number of bitcoin (BTC) automated teller machines (ATMs) in Canada went up nearly 28% in a year and almost 190% in two years, according to data provided by Coin ATM Radar.
The number of Bitcoin ATMs currently installed in Canada is 2,549. On the first day of this month, the Coin ATM Radar chart shows 2,551 of them installed. On November 7 last year, that number was 1,997. This represents a 27.74% growth in a year.
Furthermore, the number of ATMs on November 1, 2020, was just 888. This means a 187.3% growth in just two years, between November 1, 2020, and the same date in 2022.
Going back in time, there were 2 ATMs installed in October 2013, with that number steadily rising until 133 on January 1, 2017. This is where the chart shows a significant increase over the next two years, reaching 622 in January 2019.
The number of installations had slowed down for a while, and then it jumped in mid-2020, seeing a (above-mentioned) significant rise since.
The website offers charts for other countries as well. For example, between November 1 last year and the same date this year:
- Europe's ATMs increased from 1,350 to 1,464; an increase of 8.5%,
- United Kingdom went from 86 to 23; a drop of 73.3%,
- United States saw a rise in ATM numbers from 26,681 to 33,841; a jump of 26.9%,
- Worldwide, the number of ATMs went up from 30,698 to 38,750; a rise of 26.3%.
In June this year, crypto financial services provider CoinFlip announced its international expansion with the debut of its ATMs in Canada, namely in Toronto, Ontario, and Vancouver, British Columbia.
- CoinFlip Announces Debut of Its ATMs in Canada
- Canadian Exchanges' Cap on Annual Purchases Excludes Only Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and Bitcoin Cash
- US Crypto ATM Provider Bitcoin Depot to Go Public as Part of Merger Deal
- Bitcoin ATMs Return to Tokyo, Osaka for First Time Since 2018
- US Agency Calls For Stricter Regulation Of Crypto ATMs
- Media Markt Aims to Install 200 BTC ATMs