Who Accepts Bitcoin in 2019?
Before you get yourself some Bitcoins, you may wonder who accepts Bitcoins as payment? Since Bitcoin is relatively new and many businesses are wary of its price fluctuations, you may not find it surprising that it is not as widely accepted as traditional fiat currencies.
Despite that, the ranks of retailers and services that accept Bitcoin are growing. According to Coinmap.org, there are nearly 15,000 venues all over the globe where you can purchase goods and services using Bitcoin, The actual number of vendors accepting Bitcoin is likely to be much higher though, knowing that Bitcoin is already legal payment instrument in countries like Japan.
You can buy food and drinks at many bars and restaurants around the world. Aside from that, you can also get various web services, book accommodation and plane tickets, purchase real estate, order pizza, consumer goods, pay your taxes or even travel to space with Virgin Galactic using BTC.
Well-Known Companies That Accept Bitcoin
For starters, the benefits of using Bitcoin for payments start by allowing you to send your funds to the merchants armed with functional Bitcoin wallets, with no intermediaries and at minimal fees. Those offering goods and services in exchange for Bitcoin stand to profit as well, as they can tap into a pool of growing crypto-friendly audience, with lower transaction fees compared to network payment cards and the ability to settle things down without chargebacks.
As you can see, many companies accept Bitcoin, but it also depends on where you are and what you need. Although Bitcoin is more popular among smaller merchants, several well-known companies accept Bitcoin payments, too.
- Microsoft. For now, the giant from Redmond supports the option of topping up one’s Microsoft account with Bitcoin. Used in this manner, Bitcoin can be used to buy apps or games from the company’s Windows or Xbox stores, without support for purchasing stuff from its online store. While the company’s earlier record of supporting Bitcoin has been spotty, its support for this cryptocurrency is surely a wind in the sails of crypto promoters.
- Wikimedia, the parent company behind the Wikipedia platform, will accept your donations in bitcoins, provided that you make them via BitPay.
- Lovers of food will surely appreciate the fact that the global restaurant chain, or at least its Canadian outlet, offers chicken in exchange for Bitcoin. The bad news that this was a time-limited from 2018, but the company promises the BTC users to stay tuned for new developments.
- Subway is yet another restaurant franchise which advises its customers to check their local joints for the support for Bitcoin, as some of them may offer support for this currency now just as they did in the past.
- Playboy TV supports payment with Bitcoin to those who want to use their BTC to gain access to adult content.
- NewEgg is an online retailing powerhouse, particularly when it comes to hardware and electronic gadgets. It was one of the pioneers among the early Bitcoin adopters. The platform supports three ways of paying with Bitcoin, including web purchases, wallet-based transfers, and transactions made on smartphones. A caveat: bitcoins are not accepted if you want to spend them on digital gift cards, preorders, and subscriptions, so you better make sure to check the fine print in the platform's terms of service.
- AT&T is a renowned U.S. mobile operator who offers an option to use Bitcoin for payment, provided that the users effect it via BitPay service.
There are also some major players that do not (as of October 2019) accept Bitcoin as payment, as these market players are often the subject of the inquiries made by Bitcoin users:
- Online retailer giant Amazon does not accept Bitcoin payments. Yet, the options such as Purse.io allow you to buy stuff from its merchants in a more or less direct manner. This platform will link the holders of Bitcoin who want to purchase stuff on Amazon with those who want to receive Bitcoin in exchange for making an order from the platform.
- eBay is yet another popular online buying option and, similar to Amazon, it does not support Bitcoin as a means of payment.
- Starbucks will not allow you to use your BTC to pay for coffee or any of its products as of yet.
Where Can I Use Bitcoin to Buy Stuff Online?
Those with spare bitcoins to spend usually look at the internet as a safe haven that offers access to various types of products and services. While various brick-and-mortar stores are starting to accept Bitcoin as a legit tender now, online retailers still offer the best deals and attract the majority of attention for a reason.
- Overstock.com, for example, is among the more popular big-time online retailers offering the option to make payments with bitcoin. The site’s offer covers various products, ranging from couches and rugs to PC hardware. The platform launched its Bitcoin support in early 2014, with the range of supported currencies nowadays including Ethereum, Dash, Bitcoin Cash, and others. It also offers refunds for whatever you buy with Bitcoin, combined with its parallel use with coupons and gift cards.
- Gift card platforms such as eGifter and Gyft allow you to spend BTC to buy gift cards that can be used at stores that do not support direct purchases with bitcoins at the moment. Once acquired, these cards can be used with Amazon, Home Depot and other retailers.
- Shopify is an e-commerce giant which provides the online environment in which the merchants can open their own virtual selling stands, not unlike what you find on eBay. At the moment, tens of thousands of merchants on it are readily accepting Bitcoin via the use of BitPay. Unfortunately, the only snag here is the fact that you’ll have to check out and find these stores yourself, as the site does not yet offer the comprehensive list of BTC-friendly sellers.
- The same goes for Etsy, an e-commerce platform dedicated to the sales of handmade and vintage items, with a growing number of merchants offering support for Bitcoin purchases.
- BitPlaza is yet another e-retailer, promising easy support for shopping with Bitcoin. The platform’s offer ranges from cosmetics to groceries and electronics. In addition to visiting its online shopping center, you can spend your hard-earned BTC with the help of dedicated Android and iOS apps.
- If you need a gift for that special geek in your life (including yourself!), anything ranging from Marvel action heroes to old-school game memorabilia can be found at Geekorama.
Can You Travel with a Bitcoin Wallet?
Traveling somewhere? The following platforms will help you to book plane tickets and hotels for Bitcoin.
- CheapAir leading the charge here. Among other options, the platform supports paying for international flights with Bitcoin, allowing you to fly with confidence with your Bitcoin wallet safely tucked away in a virtual pocket. In addition to flights, you can use your favorite crypto to pay for hotel accommodation. If you book flights with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies, you have access to USD 100 coverage if the fares take a dip after paying for them. The company utilizes Coinbase wallets and is one of the pioneers of the Bitcoin adoption in the air travel industry.
- CheapAir’s competitor is a rising star platform called More Stamps Global which allows you to book flights and hotels with Bitcoin, alongside other crypto- and fiat-based payment options. In addition to flights and accommodation, it supports travel transfers and payment for various services and activities associated with travels, such as renting cars.
- BTCTrip is a dedicated travel platform that focuses on enabling Bitcoin-supported flights via direct payment method.
Buying Precious Metals and Homes with Bitcoin
If gold and silver are high on your purchase list, you’ll be glad to know that nicknaming Bitcoin “cryptocurrency gold” was highly appropriate at least in case you want to use it as a means of acquiring precious metals. There are several companies that offer support for buying silver and gold online with BTC, including REEDS Jewelers, JM Bullion, APMEX and GramGold.
- Some of them even offer a discount based on BTC-powered transactions, such as JM Bullion.
- Others, such as APMEX, have special requirements, such as setting a maximum cap for purchases made with Bitcoin.
- REEDS Jewelers will allow you to spend Bitcoins at their physical stores and online outlets alike, offering a full range of luxury watches and jewelry. It also supports refunds for purchases made with bitcoins. Yet, you should bear in mind that combined purchases made with BTC and other accepted payment methods are not supported at the moment.
Luxury home buyers will surely welcome the opportunity to fork out their bitcoins on the Bitcoin Real Estate platform which allows them to buy or sell properties that manage to catch their eye. In addition to dedicated platforms such as this one, there is a growing number of real estate dealers who want to attract younger and crypto-friendly buyers by offering support for Bitcoin.
Do You Need Other Sites to Spend Bitcoin On?
Spendabit.co and Bspend.com are websites that let you search for retailers that accept Bitcoin for items you need.
Other big companies that accept Bitcoin include:
- Microsoft Xbox and Windows Store.
- KFC Canada
- Virgin Galatic, including Virgin Mobile and Virgin Airline
- Etsy Vendors
- Newegg.com electronics
- Euro Pacific
- T-Mobile Poland
- Roadway Moving Company
- SEO Clerks
- Digitec Galaxus
- Privacy-focused e-mail service providers Tutanota and Protonmail.
- VPN services such as Express VPN, Pure VPN, CyberGhost, NordVPN, HideMyAss
- Namecheap.com domain registrar.
- Lionsgate Films
- Dish Network
Alongside specific companies, there are websites which let you discover niche retailers and service providers who accept Bitcoins. These include:
- Bitcoin.travel - a service for finding airlines that accept Bitcoin.
- CryptoCoffee - a crypto-centric coffee distributor.
- Takeaway.com - a service for ordering food with Bitcoin
- BitPlaza - a mobile app and website for purchasing various brand products.
- Spendabit - a search engine that lets you discover stores that accept Bitcoin.
Some cafes and museums accept Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, too, but you should check with them individually. Look them up on coinmap.org.
Other Ways to Spend Your Bitcoins
You can also spend bitcoin indirectly by getting a Bitcoin-powered credit card from Xapo, BitPay, Uquid, and alternative service providers. Besides, cryptocurrency projects TenX, Pundi X, and Crypto.com also work on making Bitcoin and cryptocurrency payments an everyday option.
All in all, a retailer who accepts Bitcoin is likely to gain a bigger following due to network effects and appeal to a broader target group. Although many people still argue that Bitcoin is not a suitable payment system due to price fluctuations, fees, and unregulated nature of blockchain, the Bitcoin network is still relatively young and is likely to grow and improve in the future.
Also see: Who Accepts Ethereum?