Trademark Applications Suggest Meta May Launch Crypto Platform
According to records submitted to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Meta filed five new trademark applications on May 13, which echo its future plans for a payment platform where users can exchange all forms of currencies.
The five filings, which come in addition to two submitted back in 2021, cover a multitude of possible services.
One of the filings included Meta’s name for use in an “online social networking service for investors allowing financial trades and exchange of digital currency, virtual currency, cryptocurrency, digital and blockchain assets, digitized assets, digital tokens, crypto tokens and utility tokens.”
Another, almost 2,000-word-long filing mentions a wide list of crypto and digital payment-related terms, which include providing:
- software enabling users to invest in digital currency, virtual currency, cryptocurrency;
- software that facilitates the ability of users to view, analyze, record, store, monitor, manage, trade, and exchange digital currency;
- software for sending, receiving, accepting, buying, selling, storing, transmitting, trading, and exchanging digital currency.
In short, Meta Pay could become a cryptoasset exchange, a crypto wallet, or a digital payment company.
However, it could become many other things as well because one of the filings presents it as an online social investment network while another is more focused on marketing, advertising, and promotion services.
As reported, Meta spent USD 60m to acquire the naming rights owned by the US bank Meta Financial Group.
Earlier this year, the company also filed eight trademark applications for crypto-related products, which included "crypto tokens, blockchain software, virtual currency exchanges, financial + currency trading, digital, crypto, and virtual currencies," according to trademark attorney Mike Kondoudis.
- Meta Begins Testing ‘Tools’ for Metaverse ‘Digital Asset’ Sales
- Meta’s AI Supercomputer to 'Pave the Way' Towards Building the Metaverse
- Meta to Introduce Virtual Tokens that Are Not Cryptocurrency - Report
- Instagram Starts Testing NFTs