Shehan Chandrasekera, Head of Tax Strategy at CoinTracker, on Crypto Taxation
Shehan Chandrasekera is the Head of Tax Strategy at CoinTracker, a Forbes Crypto Tax Analyst, and a CPE instructor who has won multiple awards: 2020 & 2019 CPA Practice Advisor 40 under 40 accounting professionals, Outstanding Young CPA of the year, Rising Star of Texas & Among 21 accountants mentioned on Accounting Today who will be helping shape (and reshape) accounting in 2020 and beyond by Accounting Today.
Shehan is a renowned speaker who has done speaking engagements with many organizations, including Google, Coinbase, Square, Consensus, Coindesk, Lyft, AICPA, the American Bar Association, and a plethora of state CPA Societies
In this conversation, we discuss:
- How are cryptocurrencies treated by the IRS?
- What are taxable transactions? There are 5
- What transactions are not taxable?
- What are the biggest challenges when complying with crypto taxes?
- What tax form should you file to report your crypto taxes accurately?
- Highest in, first out
- Ambiguous tax rules