Why Is the Proposed FinCEN Rule for Unhosted Wallets Being Pushed So Quickly?
In this episode of Unchained podcast with Laura Shin, Jeremy Allaire of Circle Pay and Kristin Smith of the Blockchain Association explain the impact of and motivation behind Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin’s proposed FinCEN rule that targets “unhosted” wallets. Read More
- What the new FinCEN rule says, and how it would impact unhosted or self-hosted wallets, as well as crypto businesses.
- Why they believe this is really politically motivated and unilateral midnight rule making by Secretary Mnuchin.
- What other bureaucrats and policymakers think should be done instead.
- Whether the rule only affects businesses rather than individuals.
- What information will be recorded according to the rule?
- Ways to circumvent compliance.
- How the rule affects DeFi and Web3.
- The procedural hurdles Mnuchin took to propose the rule, and what they recommend the crypto community to do try to stop the implementation of the rule.
- How the rule comports with European GDPR regulations.
- Which government entities will be tasked with making the regulatory changes the space needs.
- Why President-Elect Joe Biden’s administration may be more favorable for the space.
The episode was published on December 22, 2020.
Liked this video? Subscribe to Unchained Podcast